This is another drafts queue snippet which is interestingly relevant:
I was watching a documentary hat just premiered on Showtime, Trumped and in one scene Mitt Romney is complaining about Trump calling him a con man who inherited his wealth and all of it comes across as more than a little ironic.
Still, at this point in time Trump has broken the tradition of candidates for President releasing their tax returns and for all the noise his opponents made you have to wonder if this hasn’t set a new standard?
We are media obsessed in this country and we pick at political candidate the way some people pick at a scab, it’s not healthy and not at all good and I would hazard that it discourages a host of people who would be very good in government from seeking out political office.
Does that mean I somehow have some sympathy for Trump?
Not really, even though I am a supporter. I’m still on a wait and see kind of voyage here.
The other day, I had lunch with a friend of mine (at Eisenberg’s on 5th which is really a good place to go to if you’ve never been).
He’s in a bit of a unique circumstance in that although he is an American citizen and was born here, he grew up mainly in Australia after his parents relocated there when he was very young. He has a wife (who comes from a Cambodian refugee family) and a young daughter and he is genuinely concerned about the advent of a Trump Presidency.
I told him to relax... he will survive.
We’ll all survive actually.
You know, it’s odd in a way but if you really believe in this country, I think you have to recognize that the mechanisms and structure of our nation are set up in such a way to keep truly bad things from happening.
I know there are people who will be very much up in arms and think I am being a little bit of a Pollyana but I think they fail to recognize our nation and its people. We as Americans believe we are good. Think about that if you will for a second, even though we are a nation made up of an amalgam of people from all sorts of backgrounds there is something very much unspoken that all of us hold deep within our hearts as we look at our nation.
We are a nation of centrists and when the pendulum swings too far to one side or the other it always swings back (and if you don’t believe that you should really brush up on your American history).
I told my friend even though he came here after the GW Bush years not to worry because really if the Republicans fuck up badly they will be giving an enormous gift to the Democrats. I still believe that, really and for all the people hyperventilating I can only say you should too.
Which brings me to something else...
The sixties were good in some ways and bad in others but for every person who fells they need to go out and protest, really?
I’d likely take you a lot more seriously if you folks weren’t posting selfies to your Twitter feed or on your Instagram account or to your Facebook page. Somehow, the idea that you need to broadcast the fact that you are some kind of dedicated revolutionary while making note of it on social media so all your friends can see how ‘brave’ you are takes the legs out from your argument and makes you just another attention whore in a nation brimming with them.
Further, if you get so apoplectic over even the smallest of things it means that when something that truly warrants protest comes along people will turn a deaf ear to you because you are viewed in a certain light. In two weeks we have had one protest after another, people I know you‘re upset Hillary didn’t win but really, GET OVER IT.
Oh and the ‘nasty woman’ thing that has certain quarters up in arms... really? I just want to get this straight, so due to gender people are incapable of being nasty? There hasn’t been a time in your life when you found one of your ‘sisters’ to be nasty and either said to one of your friends or thought to yourself, ‘she‘s a bitch!’ How incredibly disingenuous.
I do like the ‘pussy hats’ though, they look cute. There is something very anime about them.
I’m trying to fathom a whole slew of things I find laughable, the antisemitic thing ascribed to Trump when his son-in-law, daughter and grandchildren are Jewish - that’s remarkable (and I have actually heard people say this to me in earnest).
Anyway... I’m droning on and have lost my way on this one. There’s just so much fodder for political discussions and stupidity on BOTH SIDES and we have almost four full years to pick at it.
A good article on Mother Jones, sometimes it’s what people don’t do or say that speaks volumes about themselves...Now, let’s put this in the context of our current President and the actions of Mitt Romney...
Mitt Romney released tax information. Here's what you need to know.
He’s still only released two years’ worth of tax returns. Romney released his 2010 tax return in January. On Friday, he released his 2011 return and a very brief “summary” of the past 20 years’ worth of returns. That summary was missing the kind of detail that would have provided a full picture of Romney’s finances, rather than the incomplete snapshot the campaign has provided to date. Romney’s father, George Romney, released 12 years of returns when he ran for president in 1968.
I was watching a documentary hat just premiered on Showtime, Trumped and in one scene Mitt Romney is complaining about Trump calling him a con man who inherited his wealth and all of it comes across as more than a little ironic.
Still, at this point in time Trump has broken the tradition of candidates for President releasing their tax returns and for all the noise his opponents made you have to wonder if this hasn’t set a new standard?
We are media obsessed in this country and we pick at political candidate the way some people pick at a scab, it’s not healthy and not at all good and I would hazard that it discourages a host of people who would be very good in government from seeking out political office.
Does that mean I somehow have some sympathy for Trump?
Not really, even though I am a supporter. I’m still on a wait and see kind of voyage here.
The other day, I had lunch with a friend of mine (at Eisenberg’s on 5th which is really a good place to go to if you’ve never been).
He’s in a bit of a unique circumstance in that although he is an American citizen and was born here, he grew up mainly in Australia after his parents relocated there when he was very young. He has a wife (who comes from a Cambodian refugee family) and a young daughter and he is genuinely concerned about the advent of a Trump Presidency.
I told him to relax... he will survive.
We’ll all survive actually.
You know, it’s odd in a way but if you really believe in this country, I think you have to recognize that the mechanisms and structure of our nation are set up in such a way to keep truly bad things from happening.
I know there are people who will be very much up in arms and think I am being a little bit of a Pollyana but I think they fail to recognize our nation and its people. We as Americans believe we are good. Think about that if you will for a second, even though we are a nation made up of an amalgam of people from all sorts of backgrounds there is something very much unspoken that all of us hold deep within our hearts as we look at our nation.
We are a nation of centrists and when the pendulum swings too far to one side or the other it always swings back (and if you don’t believe that you should really brush up on your American history).
I told my friend even though he came here after the GW Bush years not to worry because really if the Republicans fuck up badly they will be giving an enormous gift to the Democrats. I still believe that, really and for all the people hyperventilating I can only say you should too.
Which brings me to something else...
The sixties were good in some ways and bad in others but for every person who fells they need to go out and protest, really?
I’d likely take you a lot more seriously if you folks weren’t posting selfies to your Twitter feed or on your Instagram account or to your Facebook page. Somehow, the idea that you need to broadcast the fact that you are some kind of dedicated revolutionary while making note of it on social media so all your friends can see how ‘brave’ you are takes the legs out from your argument and makes you just another attention whore in a nation brimming with them.
Further, if you get so apoplectic over even the smallest of things it means that when something that truly warrants protest comes along people will turn a deaf ear to you because you are viewed in a certain light. In two weeks we have had one protest after another, people I know you‘re upset Hillary didn’t win but really, GET OVER IT.
Oh and the ‘nasty woman’ thing that has certain quarters up in arms... really? I just want to get this straight, so due to gender people are incapable of being nasty? There hasn’t been a time in your life when you found one of your ‘sisters’ to be nasty and either said to one of your friends or thought to yourself, ‘she‘s a bitch!’ How incredibly disingenuous.
I do like the ‘pussy hats’ though, they look cute. There is something very anime about them.
I’m trying to fathom a whole slew of things I find laughable, the antisemitic thing ascribed to Trump when his son-in-law, daughter and grandchildren are Jewish - that’s remarkable (and I have actually heard people say this to me in earnest).
Anyway... I’m droning on and have lost my way on this one. There’s just so much fodder for political discussions and stupidity on BOTH SIDES and we have almost four full years to pick at it.
No comments:
Post a Comment